Jaw-Dropping Photos of Germany's Abandoned Beelitz Heilstätten Complex

3/28/2017

As far as abandoned German buildings go, this one is pretty famous. A sprawling medical complex built in 1898, the Beelitz-Heilstätten Hospital treated Adolph Hitler’s leg injury and temporary blindness during the First World War. Originally a tuberculosis sanatorium, the complex also housed wounded Nazi’s in WWII, treating people sent there by the antics of its former resident. After WWII, the complex was taken over by the USSR, and was a Soviet military hospital until 1994.

According to Atlas Obscura, “Today, while a few small sections of the enormous hospital are used for neurological rehabilitation and Parkinson’s research, the majority of the complex, including the surgery ward, the psychiatric ward, and a rifle range, have all been abandoned and left to decay back into the surrounding forest. In 2002 it was used as a set for the Roman Polanski film ‘The Pianist’.”

The rest of it sits. No guards, no security. Waiting.


Flickr/mbiddulph



Flickr/unkreatives



Flickr/arcanum75



Flickr/arcanum75



Flickr/howzey



Flickr/James C. Farmer



Flickr/arcanum75



Flickr/reupa



Flickr/reupa



You Might Also Like

0 comments